Welcome spring

This is the day we'be been waiting for - for months.

The winter of our discontent ends today, and it has nothing to do with that extra hour of light we're enjoying at the end of the day, although I can admit I had to smile as I slipped on my sunglasses for the ride home last night.

The ride directly into that late-day sun can be brutal, but I didn't mind it at all. I didn't even mind stopping to get get gas, something I've come to hate for the last three months as we've been battered with temperatures that too often leaned toward single digits.

All that ends today.

Anyone remember Dec. 22? Other than the fact that it was three days before Christmas, it stands out for something else as well.

It was the last time we hit 60 degrees.

According to some forecasts, we'll do that and a little more today as the thermometer soars to 65 degrees.

Now I can tell you that our local TV forecasters probably are just as exuberant about the high temperature today as they've been about the snow totals all winter. I figure we'll likely top out right around 60.

Still, it will feel like 85. I can't remember what it was like to go out without a coat. I think I will find out today. I am going to celebrate by going to the Springfield Country Club. Actually, I'm the featured speaker at tonight's meeting of the Springfield Lions. That is, if they can get me inside.

Welcome, spring.

Don't get too excited, however. While we will stay warm tomorrow, rain also will be moving into the region. And pay no attention to those forecasters clinging desperately to winter calling for a final blast of snow Wednesday night into Thursday. I don't think it's going to happen. It will turn colder Thursday before another warm-up just in time for the weekend.

So tell me, how are you going to celebrate today?

Comments