Your Monday morning road report

I suppose by this time I should just bite my tongue.

Or maybe it's just too early and the worst is yet to come.

But after being harangued for the last four days - including all weekend - of how this was going to be the biggest March snow storm in history - and other doomsday predictions of more than a foot of snow, I have just one question. What happened?

I just drove into the office. On roads that were for the most part just wet.

Yes, I had to shovel out the driveway from the latest coating of snow. I would say it was less than an inch. And I had to brush off the car and chip away some ice under the snow.

As usual the roads in our development were snow-covered. But once I got out onto the main roads, I encountered mostly wet roads.

All the way down West Chester Pike from West Chester to Broomall was smooth sailing. The same goes for Springfield Road. There was one exception on my commute, and I'm not sure why. As soon as I crossed over State Road (Route 1) in Springfield on Springfield Road, the road turned snow-covered. It stayed that way all the way up to Bishop Avenue. That's where I take a right on Bishop, which also was snow-covered until I got to Baltimore Pike. Like most of my commute, the Pike also was just wet.

Clearly this forecast changed.

It now appears as if the most snow is not going to hit here at all, but likely be farther south in Delaware and South Jersey.

The accumulations now for this area are now being downplayed, in the neighborhood of 1-3 inches.

I have to give John Bolaris some credit. Yesterday he was one of the few who was saying the storm was looking to take a more southerly track, meaning not as much snow for the rest of us.

That doesn't stop the fact that all I heard for four days on radio and TV was how we were going to get hammered.

Here's a novel idea: Why don't they just be honest and tell us they don't know what these storms are going to do, and what track they might end up taking.

Maybe then we can get our lives back, and perhaps survive without the onslaught of 'Snowmageddon' predictions. And if I never see one more report from a local supermarket, it will be too soon. I have said it before, I will say it again.

This kind of weather hype borders on being a public disservice.

Maybe things will get worse as the mornign goes on, but the truth is that right now, when I drove in, this storm was not as advertised.

Comments