32 years and counting ...

Tomorrow is a special day for me - for a couple of reasons.

First off, it's Flag Day.

And if you're from Delaware County, you know that we have a special connection to Flag Day. The day originated right here in Yeadon, the idea of William Kerr. This year marks the 65th anniversary of Flag Day, and the town has quite a celebration cooked up to note the occasion. You can get all the details here.

Speaking of anniversaries, it also marks a bit of a milestone for me as well.

I walked into the Delaware County Daily Times for my first day of work on June 14, 1982. Yes, I know, I'm old. That is 32 years ago. Still boggles the mind.

I can't even begin to tell you the ways this business has changed over those three decades, let alone the people who deliver the headlines. In some ways, it seems like yesterday. In others, it was a completely different world. No cell phones. No Internet. Yes, kids, there once was a world without cell phones.

I never have any trouble remembering the day. That's because the soundtrack of my life, KYW Newsradio 1060 plays the Bob Nelson gem, 'I Am Your Flag.' If by any chance you won't be tuning in tomorrow, here it is.

In the meantime, Happy Flag Day!

Comments