A coarse society gets just a bit coarser

Among the many things I am not proud of is the fact that I can curse with the best of them. And too often do.

It's not something I'm proud of. Actually, it's just plain lazy. Instead of finding just the right word as I strive to do when I'm banging on this keyboard, I am much more apt to simply blurt out everyone's favorite four-letter word. And I'm not referring to 'damn.'

Usually, I confine those outbursts to private moments, times when my verbal fusillade will not assault someone's unsuspecting - and no doubt much more tender - ears or sensitivities.

Most of the time, but not always.

Occasionally, after a particularly profane outburst, one of the women from the business office in the front of the building will meekly peek her head in the door to my office and remind me that I am not alone in this building, especially if there happens to be a customer at the front desk.

I kind of slouch under the desk and apologize.

I'm not alone in this particularly virulent form of free speech.

As a society, I fear we are becoming much more coarse. Look, I'm no prude, I work in a newsroom, for God's sake, but I know there is a time and place for one of my classic outbursts.

For instance, I would never consider for a second dropping the F-bomb while addressing the local Rotary. Apparently not everyone agrees.

A few years back, as the Phillies nation exulted in a World Series title, Chase Utley deemed it the appropriate moment to take to the mic at a packed Citizens Bank Park and declare the Phils the "World Bleeping Champions." Nice. I remember cringing at the time.

And it's not just athletes. Vice President Joe Biden was captured on an open mic telling President Obama, as he was set to sign into law the Affordable Care Act, "this is a big bleeping deal." Say it ain't so, Joe.

Maybe there's something about microphones. Or sports celebrations.

In Los Angeles yesterday, they were holding the official party after the L.A. Kings captured their second Stanley Cup in three years. L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti decided to spice up his remarks just a tad. After noting that there are "two rules in politics," those being never getting caught with a drink in your hand, and never swearing, he promptly went blue. "But this is big (bleeping) deal. Way to go, guys."

Another public F-bomb.

And one more sign that what was once considered taboo is now casually sprinkled in common conversations, and even in public appearances by public officials.

We do not print the F-bomb in the newspaper.

I do not expect that to change any time soon. I know that it increasingly is showing up in 'hip' blogs and other places on the Internet.

I'm not that hip.

I'm just an inveterate curser, usually cursing my own fate.

I think I know when and where to submit to such outbursts.

Apparently Eric Garcetti does not.

Shame on you, mayor.

Comments