How to get around the I-495 bridge closure mess in Delaware

That commuter nightmare with the closure of the I-495 bridge in Wilmington just got a lot worse.

After an inspection of the span, Delaware officials announced the span would remain closed 'indefinitely.'

This is going to cause highway headaches for weeks.

Here's a quick cheat sheet on what you need to know and how to get around the mess:

HEADING SOUTH FROM POINTS NORTH: Southbound traffic on I-495 is closed at the Pennsylvania state line, with traffic diverted onto I-95 southbound. Drivers traveling south from New York may want to stay on the New Jersey Turnpike, rather than getting on I-95, crossing into Delaware over the Delaware Memorial Bridge south of Wilmington and then getting back on I-95. Southbound port of Wilmington traffic is being directed to Interstate 295 east and then to Delaware 9 north to the port.

HEADING NORTH ALONG THE EAST COAST: Officials say I-495 is closed northbound at Terminal Avenue, which leads to the port of Wilmington. Drivers traveling north can stay on I-95 through Wilmington or take Interstate 295 into New Jersey and bypass northern Delaware. Local northbound traffic can stay on I-495 to Terminal Avenue.

Comments