'Live From the Newsroom' does 'Dining Under the Stars'

It was still sunny and sweltering as I made my way along Baltimore Pike headed for Media and one of the truly great rites of summer in Delco, "Dining Under the Stars" on State Street.

If you haven't been there, I highly recommend it. It's not too often that a town literally shuts down a main thoroughfare, including a SEPTA trolley line, and allows local eateries to move their tables out in the middle of the street for a little dining al fresco - and en masse.

But I was pretty sure that yesterday's stifling weather would keep the crowds at a minimum.

Shows how much I know.

The first inkling that I might be wrong came in my search for a parking spot in the bustling borough. They are doing a major rehab and renovation job on the main parking lot, with the second and third floors closed entirely. One quick trip through the ground floor showed no available spots, so I headed out to look for a spot on the street. I eventually found one, then started the march toward State Street.

The place was packed. Under a still-scorching sun at 6 p.m.

My thanks to Mayor Bob McMahon, who again kicked off our show. We also had great conversations with Addie Cianella, who is with one of the newest initiatives in Media, Thursday's Media Farmers' Market, which runs every Thursday 3-7 p.m. on State Street next to the Media Theatre.

One of the borough's newest entrepreneurs also stopped by. Jack Cunicelli owns 320 Market along with his brother, and is planning a big expansion in the borough in the former Media Town Hall.

Bryan Messick, from the Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union and president of the Media Business Authority was all smiles, and who wouldn't be gazing down State Street and the hundreds of people dining under the stars.

Finally, special thanks for Roger Ricket and the kids from Media Theatre, who gave us an impromptu preview of their summer production of 'Cinderella.' It is part of the theatre's Children's Series and runs Saturdays and Sundays through Aug. 17.

And of course I would be remiss if I did not mention the behind-the-scenes work of Susan Serbin, who 'produces' our annual visit to the county seat and lines up our guests.

If you missed the show, you can catch the replay here.

Comments