USA! USA! Yep, I was watching World Cup

All me to step once more into the confessional.

I am a sports nut, but soccer does not exactly thrill me.

However, even I have to admit there is something different about the World Cup. When I got home last night - and of course after watching the nightly news - I flipped on the first game for the USA. They were playing an old nemesis, Ghana, the team that eliminated them in the last go-round.

The U.S. went ahead early, 1-0, then seemed ready to go into a defensive shell. As usually happens in those instances, just as in Americanized football, the 'prevent' defense appeared as if it would prevent a U.S. win when Ghana cashed in the game-tying goal late in regulation.

But then something amazing happened. John Brooks, a rookie who was a second-half sub, headed in a corner kick for the game winner for the U.S.

A little bit like the last minute of a one-goal Stanley Cup playoff game, the tension and anxiety was off the charts as the U.S. held on for the three points.

My guess is I'll never be a die-hard soccer fan. I've yet to take in a Union game, but I think this World Cup thing is going to be a blast.

Comments