A wedding story

I have spent the past several months consumed with wedding plans.

And yet, my task paled compared to the one taken up by Bill Carroll.

I returned to the office on Tuesday to read his poignant story, as told by our staff writer Tim Logue.

Bill Carroll married Missi Wright, the love of his life, last Wednesday. On Thursday, with Bill holding her hand, Missi passed away.

She had battled cystic fibrosis for years. The lovers had held off on tying the knot because of complications with health benefits.

When Missi's condition took a turn for the worse and she could no longer work, they began to think about marriage. They said their 'I Do's' last week, just in time.

I wasn't here to make the decision about how to play this story, but I'm glad it appeared on our front page.

Along with a photo of Bill and Missi, along with their hands - newly adorned with their wedding rings - is states simply: "Love Forever."

It's one of the best stories I've read in a long time.

And it reminds me what we're supposed to be doing here at the newspaper. I've always said it's pretty simple: We're story tellers. We look for good tales, flesh them out, and put them in the paper.

In the process, we chronicle life in Delaware County 24 hours at a time, even faster online.

I think this story sums up everything that is good about Delaware County.

As a father who just walked his daughter down the aisle, my heart breaks for Bill and Missi.

At the same time, I am in awe of their decision.

You did us proud.

Comments