Delco's got talent! My night as a judge at 'The Vocalist'

People are quick these days to put down young people, from the way they dress, to the way they talk, and the way they act.

I got another view last night.

I was a guest judge for Week 2 of the Media Theatre's summer talent competition, 'The Vocalist.' I got a first-hand look at just how talented a lot of our young people are. I saw 30 young people walk out on a stage and sing their hearts out in front of a packed house.

For some reason, Roger Ricker from Media Theatre asked me if I'd like to serve as one of their weekly volunteer celebrity judges. I'm not exactly sure I qualify as much of a celebrity, but I was more than happy to take part. I was joined by County Councilman Dave White.

They got a little more star power from the show's emcee, popular Fox-29 weather anchor Sue Serio, who is no stranger to the Media Theatre stage. She and her hubby, sports guy Bill Vargus, did the two-person show 'Love Letters' there last year.

Last week Delco rocker Debbi Calton, the stalwart DJ who just marked 20 years at classic rock station WMGK, was a celebrity judge.

This week they lowered their standards with a newspaper editor.

We used the occasion to take our live-stream Internet broadcast, 'Live From the Newsroom,' out to the theatre as sort of a warm-up act. Media Theatre Artistic Director Jesse Cline, who also serves as the chief judge for the competition, joined us and talked about how the show has grown from its origins as 'Delco Idol,' and the deep talent pool evidenced here in Delaware County. Many of the kids involved in the competition also are studying music as part of the theatre's education plans.

If you missed the show, you can see the replay here.

And if you're looking for a great night of entertainment, I highly recommend checking out the competition, which continues for the next three Wednesday nights.

Media is certainly a jumping place mid-week. State Street is packed with diners who show up for 'Dining Under the Stars,' when local restaurants shut down the main thoroughfare and set up their tables al fresco.

It's one of the county's summer highlights.

Our thanks to everyone at Media Theatre for welcoming us and the show again this year.

And best of luck to all the talented kids taking part in 'The Vocalist.'

I was impressed!

Comments