Looking for answers in Chester

I don't profess to know what the answer is to the random gun violence that persists in the city of Chester.

I do know this. The answer likely lies in the community.

That is why events such as last night's walk and barbecue are so important.

District Attorney Jack Whelan led a contingent of law enforcement and local officials on a tour of a neighborhood. AFter that there was a community barbecue.

After I posted an item advancing the event in my blog yesterday, several people went online and commented with no small amount of snark that they didn't think this event, with all these lawmen present, was going to accomplish much.

They may be right. But I don't think it was merely a PR event.

I had been invited to the barbecue to take part in the community conversation. Unfortunately, I could not make it.

But I have said before and will repeat again now. I want this newspaper and website to be part of the answer in Chester. There is too much at stake. The city has come too far. The stakes are too high. The outlaws who use guns to settle arguments will not win.

It may not appeared to be all that much, but events like the one held last night are an important part of the process.

Comments