Red, white and decidedly blue

Independence Day is one of my favorite holidays of the year.

For starters, it comes in mid-summer, also my favorite time of the year. Then there's fireworks. I've always been a sucker for them.

This year, I kind of missed out on the whole July 4th party. I was a bit preoccupied with my daughter's wedding. She was married on July 5th, which means we had the rehearsal and dinner on July 4. So I missed most of my normal holiday festivities.

But when I got back to our hotel, I made sure to tune in the TV to catch all the major fireworks displays from around the country.

That's when I noticed something odd.

While it certainly is a red, white and blue day, Philadelphia brings a little different context to that 'blue' scenario.

For the last few years, instead of the patriotic music that is the basis for holiday shows in Washington, D.C., and New York City, Philly has instead opted for pop concerts on the Parkway, followed by the fireworks displays.

I would rather go patriotic, but I can live with it.

What I find somewhat offensive is the constant stream of profanity and F-bombs that spew from so many of the performers. This year it was Nicki Minaj, Ed Sheeran and others casually dropping one profanity after another.

For a long time, I thought it was just me. But apparently I'm not alone.

Mayor Michael Nutter says he will now review the concert plans for next year and try to rein in some of the acts.

Here's a suggestion. Think John Phillip Sousa.

Comments

Kevin in Kuwait said…
Yeah shouting Profanity reflects on the Profaner!