Things to be thankful for: Growing up before there was an Internet

Two recent events remind me of something I am eternally grateful for - that I grew up before there was an Internet, and before capturing events on video was as simple as picking up your phone.

It is in that spirit that I am saddened by the death of one of my favorite rockers, blues legend Johnny Winter.

It reminded me again how old I am. I had a lot of music by both Winter and his brother Edgar. Unfortunately, they were all on 8-tracks. Yeah, I'm old.

It also reminded me of a stunt I pulled with a few friends in high school. It was pretty widely known in our circle that I did something of a mean Johnny Winter imitation. We once locked the doors to the high school auditorium while I did a hellacious imitation of Johnny Winter and his classic Rock 'n' Roll Hootchie Koo on stage, with the PA system cranked all the way up.

Mrs. McClure, the music teacher whose class we were supposed to be gracing, was not amused. Neither was the principal. Thankfully, there is no proof that we were every bit the knuckleheads we were rumored to be.

Just one more of my finer moments. Lawdy, mama, light my fuse!

Then just a few weeks ago, my daughter got married on a glorious Saturday.

You may not know it to look at all this gray hair, but I fashion myself as something of a great dancer.

My daughter had already warned her in-laws about me, and she banned me from the microphone, fearing what her old man might blurt out.

But she couldn't keep me off the dance floor.

As the festivities began to heat up, I approached the DJ and made my one request of the day.

Maybe you'll recognize it. If you were one of the faithful who used to flock to the best disco in the area back in the early '80s, I'm sure you will. Right around midnight they would crank this baby up at The Library on City Line Avenue and the place would go bonkers.

What the heck, it is Friday, and we could all use a little levity in our lives.

Thus, I give you the best dance song ever recorded. Enjoy.

So far, no video evidence of my performance at the reception has surfaced. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Comments