Winds of change circle around Phils, Utley

Chase Utley doesn't sound like a guy who wants to go anywhere.

Utley is the Phils' lone representative at this year's All-Star game festivities in Minneapolis. He's starting at second base and hitting in a most unfamiliar spot for him - 7th in the NL lineup.

The big question is whether Utley will soon find himself in an even more unfamiliar spot - calling somewhere other than Philadelphia home.

Utley has played his entire career with the Phillies, including that memorable 2008 World Series title and even more memorable quip that the Phils were "World Bleeping Champions" at the parade and party that followed.

It's pretty clear that Utley would like to remain with the same team he's play for the last 14 years.

"I really enjoy Philadelphia," Utley told reporters. "I love playing baseball in Citizens Bank Park. I love playing in front of Philly fans. There's no better place to play in my opinion."

But it's equally clear that the winds of change are blowing around the Phillies.

Utley seems to understand that, even if it's not something he wants.

Utley's comments clearly showed the affection this town has for him is mutual; he likes the idea that he's wanted here in Philly. If that changes, he might have a change of heart.

"If someone at some point comes up to me and says you're not wanted in Philadelphia anymore, I might have to rethink that," Utley said.

Utley is very likely the most popular Phillie and has been for some time. I'm not sure he quite phrased that correctly. I don't think anyone really wants to see him go. I think everyone would like to see him finish his career in Philly.

But improving this team might mean Utley needs to be dealt. That's not the same thing as saying he's no longer wanted.

I hope Utley understands that.

Comments