A shaky start for Nick Foles

Nick Foles did a lot of very good things last year, not the least of which was managing to do something almost unheard of, throwing just two interceptions as opposed to 29 TD passes.

There is only one thing he did not do.

Actually two.

He did not win a playoff game; the Birds fell at home to the Saints. And maybe more importantly, he did not shake the group of folks who are still not sold on him as the Eagles starting quarterback.

I know, I was one of them.

He did nothing Friday night to vanquish those feelings.

The Birds opened the exhibition season with a loss to the Bears, and it took Foles only one quarter to match his interception total from all of last year.

It wasn't so much that Foles threw two picks, that is going to happen. I don't think anyone expected him to put up the same numbers he did last year.

It was more the way Foles looked while doing it.

In particular, his mechanics were off, in particular his footwork.

Under Chip Kelly, the Eagles' QB is almost always in the shotgun formation. That means Foles of whoever is lined up back there doesn't really get the opportunity to get into the classic QB rhythm of a 7-step drop, planting the right foot, stepping forward and throwing the ball.

On Friday night, Foles was often throwing the ball while still moving backward. That's a sure-fire recipe for disaster. I know, I know, it was the first quarter of the first preseason game.

Still, I didn't like what I saw.

And the doubts are only going to grow louder until Foles does something to dispel them.

After a miserable regular season start against Dallas last year (you know, the one after which I declared Foles could not play QB in the NFL), he responded by throwing 7 TD passes against the Raiders.

I don't think he's going to do that in the Birds' next practice game vs. the Patriots.

But I'll be looking closely at his mechanics.

And hoping to chase away the doubts.

Comments