Emmy? I think I dated her once

I do not watch a lot of TV. If you rule out an occasional movie on Friday or Saturday night, sports and the news, I probably would never turn the damn thing on.

That puts me at odds with my wife, who uses the TV for company. She turns it on when she wakes up, and if she's in the house, it's a pretty good guess the TV is on.

Her tastes run toward old black-and-white movies on TCM, and westerns such as 'Bonanza' and 'The Big Valley.'

That usually translate to her sitting in the kitchen watching the tube, and me outside on the deck listening to music and reading.

Have I mentioned recently that Spotify and Pandora might be the world's greatest invention? Of course, that probably does not bode well for local FM music stations. I might never tune in again.

Now all I have to do is fire up my iPhone and I can hear a Playlist of my favorite tunes. Sure, I have to listen to an occasional ad (I'm too damn cheap to pay for the premium service).

I'm wondering if Spotify is going to do to radio what the Internet did to print newspapers. In other words, steal a lot of customers.

But that's another blog item. This one is about TV, and the fact that they handed out the Emmys again last night. It got me to thinking about my life, or what passes for it these days.

As I went down the list of winners, it dawned on my that I have never seen one minute of 'Breaking Bad.' Is that possible.

Not only possible, but it has a lot of company.

I also have never been exposed to the night's other big winner, the comedy 'Modern Family.' Ditto for 'The Big Bang Theory.' The Good Wife? Well, I married one, but I've never seen the show.

Every night when I trudge into the house, I collapse at the kitchen table, swallow something that passes for dinner and then head to bed.

My wife usually is entranced with the reruns of 'MASH.' She just might follow that up with 'Bewitched.'

I can tell you all about Hawkeye, Col. Potter, Radar and Houlihan.

Bryan Cranston? No clue.

I guess I could go on one of those binge sessions that you can get On Demand.

About the only thing I'm demanding these days is better movies on HBO.

Just in case you're wondering, here's the rundown on who won what.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Getting your music from Pandora is like getting your news from Drudge Report!