Finally! Fixing the Conchester

Stop me if you've heard this before.

They are going to fix Route 322.

Yeah, sure. Any day now.

I have lost count how many front pages I have constructed that dealt either with another fatality on what is darkly referred to as the 'Killer Conchester' or that the long-delayed project to fix the road is taking another step forward. This time it might actually be different.

Remember that controversial $2 billion Transportation package passed by the state Legislature last spring? As part of that a state Transportation Committee was formed to determine the best way to spend the expected additional $2.3 billion a year in revenue should be spent.

Guess what is right there on the of the list? That's right, our very own Conchester Highway.

The committee rolled out their revised 12-year transportation plan, and Route 322 is one of the projects singled out for funding.

Do I believe it will happen?

Actually, this time I do.

The problem with this proposal has always been how to pay for it. No one has ever argued that Route 322 is a very dangerous road that was never meant to handle the amount of traffic that rumbles from I-95 in Chester to Route 1 in Concord every day.

Yes, I know an argument can me made that a big part of the Conchester's problem is the people driving on it. Yes, people go too fast. That is likely not going to change.

But a horribly outdated design can - and apparently will.

Now the money is there.

Let's get those shovels in the ground soon, folks.

Comments