Memories of Mork ... and Boulder Colo.

Mork is gone.

That's always the way I will remember Robin Williams.

In 1978, the brilliant comic's manic act exploded into living rooms across the nation in the sitom "Mork and Mindy." Williams played a visitor from another planet who set up house with the lovely Pam Dawber.

More importantly, the show was set in Boulder, Colo., where I happened to be attending classes at the University of Colorado.

They used a facade of a house in town as the setting for the intro for the show, and Boulder's famous Flatirons that loom over the town at the edge of the Rockies also made an appearance. You could actually walk past the house on Pine Street and see that it was the same one used on the TV show. Last night a crowd gathered once again outside the quaint house on learning that Williams had died. Many brought signs and flowers.

Of course, Williams went on to be much more than Mork.

I actually liked his dramatic appearances such as his great turn as a psychologist dealing with the sullen but brilliant Boston bad boy Matt Damon in "Good Will Hunting."

I actually used to think a lot of his comedy started to blur together in the same schtick. But even I have to admit I enjoyed watching 'Mrs. Doubtfire' a million times with my kids. They loved it.

Williams died yesterday at the age of 63. Police say he took his own life.

Here's a look at some of the highlights of his career.

And a photo gallery of his career.

Little did we know back in 1978 of the genius that grew from Mork.

I don't think genius is hyperbole when describing Williams' work.

But to me, he will always spark a memory of another life, a lifetime ago, in Boulder, Colo.

Nanu, nanu, old friend.

Comments