Mo'Ne Davis and Taney Dragons: Feel-good sports story of the year

I need to make a correction.

Yesterday in this space I asked if sports fans would be tuned to the Phillies or the Taney Dragons as they continue to seek the crown in the Little League World Series.

A reader reminded me that fans actually don't have that dilemma, not that it was much of a problem.

The Phillies play this afternoon, and will then clear the stage for the feel-good story of the year so far in sports.

I am trying to remember what I was like as a 13-year-old Little Leaguer.

I assure you I was a knucklehead, full of myself and thinking I was all that and a bag of chips as a baseball player. I made our all-star teams and went on to play varsity baseball in college.

And I am here to tell you I could not carry Mo'Ne Davis' j---, uh, never mind. That metaphor won't work.

Let's just say I am in awe of this young woman's poise as she has exploded on a national stage.

Yes, that is Mo'Ne Davis gracing the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated.

She done and said just about everything right.

And that is before she steps on the field.

Tonight she will once again rear back and unleash that nasty 70 mph fastball on a very good team, undefeated team from Las Vegas.

I will be rooting for her and the rest of the Taney Dragons.

We certainly could use a winner.

Mo'Ne and the Dragons have delivered.

Go get 'em, guys.

And girl!

Comments