Some good news out of Upper Darby

There are not many days that you can't pick up the newspaper and find all manner of bizarre crime stories emanating out of Upper Darby.

Part of that is because the superintendent of police, Mike Chitwood, is probably about as media friendly a guy with a badge as you'll find.

Last night he even found the time time to join me as I took the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

But the day before, he had called me with a different kind of request.

He was looking for some coverage of an event the township was doing for local kids. What it amounted to was free water ice and a movie, offered by Chitwood and Mayor Tom Micozzie.

I get requests like this all the time. The truth is we often are unable to cover them.

But I can admit that I wanted to cover this story. You'll find it here today.

It would be easy to get the wrong impression about Upper Darby from all the crime stories we run out of there. The same thing often happens with our coverage of Chester.

I know I have an obligation to show that there is another side to these towns, and in fact every town in Delaware County.

It's not easy.

Did these smiling kids make Page 1? No. But they are right there today in all their glory on Page 4.

It was a nice thing for the township to do. And it deserved to be covered by the local paper.

I was glad we were there.

Comments