Farewell to an Irish matriarch

It has been almost 13 years since I lost my mother.

I still talk to her every day.

I was thinking about my mom as I stood in line last night at the Stretch Funeral Home in Havertown. I was there for the viewing of another strong Irish matriarch, Bridget McLoone.

She was the mother of my pastor, Monsignor Joseph McLoone, and a friend, Pat McLoone. Pat just happens to be the managing editor of the Philadelphia Daily News, so we have a tendency to commiserate.

I always tell people that day in and day out, the most important information we publish every day are the obituaries. Yes, I know that's a bit macabre, but it is an essential part of what we consider our mission, to be the paper of record for Delaware County. Those obituaries amount to the final legacy of a person's time on this Earth.

My mother always used to tell me that you can tell what kind of impact a person had by the length of time you have to stand in line at their viewing. I was in line last night about a half hour. I didn't mind it a bit.

My mother used to devour the obits, as well as the rest of the print edition of the newspaper. I imagine Bridget McLoone did as well. The obituary for her penned by John Morrison that appeared in the Daily News was a gem.

I couldn't help thinking how much she reminded me of my mother. They had something else in common besides ruling over a strong Irish Catholic family.

They both spend their final few months at St. Martha Manor in Downingtown. I can't say enough about the people who work there. They made my mother's final year, as she slowly slipped into the grips of dementia, much less painful - both for her and her children.

As I approached the casket I had to do a double-take. I could not believe how much Bridget McLoone resembled my mother.

I gazed at her face, said a quick prayer, and smiled. It was almost like seeing my mother again.

When you enter the gates, Mrs. McLoone, look for another strong Irish lady. She looks a lot like you.

Tell mom I miss her.

Comments

Anonymous said…
The Heron’s Nest: Farewell to an Irish matriarch

It has been almost 13 years since I lost my mother.

How would you feel if you saw a headline after your mom died saying she is conscious and talking ???
Heron's Nest said…
I would feel awful, as I'm sure anyone who looked at that hedline did. I owned up to the mistake and corrected it, but you're right, it doesn't make me feel any better about it. - Phil Heron