Life without football? And all the drama as well

Maybe it was because there was no Eagles game.

Maybe it was because it was a gorgeous September day with more than a hint of fall crispness in the air.

Maybe it was because I was tired of hearing about Ray Rice and Adrian Peterson.

But this just might be something for Roger Goodell to think about, after what had to be one of the worst PR weeks in corporate history. I did not miss football at all on Sunday.

I was not about to waste a gorgeous afternoon planted in my usual spot in front of the TV. Of course, I'll be back there tonight, trying desperately to stay awake as the Birds collide with the Colts on Monday Night Football.

But I can live without it.

Maybe that is something that should worry NFL owners as they try to dig their way out of this mess of their own making.

They are, after all, selling a product. They have been phenomenally successful. The NFL is a money-making juggernaut. But we can exist without it.

We can do nicely without seeing Ray Rice cold-cock his girlfriend in an elevator.

We can get by without hearing about the way Adrian Peterson disciplines his son.

They did play games yesterday.

I was surprised to find out I really couldn't care less.

Comments

Chris Dalton said…
Apparently, it is all about the money. The sponsors and the fans actually hold all the cards, when it comes to a sports franchise. Thank you, Phil, for this entry.