Some mistakes are a little more serious than others

Some mistakes are a little more egregious than others.

In my line of work, we often measure our miscues by whether they show up on the popular journalism website Romenesko. My miscue popped up there last week. It was about as bad a mistake in a headline as you can make.

I often use my print column to pull back the curtain on this great mystery we call newspapering, in particular the way technology has changed the job - and the way we deliver information.

That's what I did today.

One reader early this morning responded by saying my column confirmed something he had long suspected, no one really proofs the news anymore.

I assured him that was not the case. We do in fact still proof every page that goes into print. Do we still make mistakes and suffer the foibles of typos that make us look silly? Of course.

Working online is another animal altogether.

That was the focus of today's column.

Read it and see why some mornings I feel like I have run off and joined the Wallenda family.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I especially like the run-on sentence in this article-about-an-article.