Welcome to the world of Skype

Add one more way in which we are delivering information to readers.

Sunday morning I joined the new 'Fox29Weekend'show to talk about the nurses' strike that was just about one hour old.

Nurses hit the bricks at 7 a.m. to focus attention on staffing and other issues at the iconic medical facility in Upland.

I joined Fox-29 host Karen Hepp to offer some background on the key issues in the strike, as well as the hospital's plans to keep the facility open with replacement nurses.

As with almost everything I do these days, it was not without some tech gremlins. We had problems with the sound on my end. We'll have to get that fixed, because they say they want to have me on again.

Maybe they didn't see the ugly mug that was featured on that Skype screen.

Yes, I managed to prove once again this is a face that was made for the newspaper.

It's just one more facet of a business that is convulsing with change. If you had told me just a few years ago that I would be hosting a weekly live-stream Internet broadcast or that I would be appearing on-screen live on a local TV show, I would have told you that you were delusional.

But that's how fast the way we disseminate information is changing. It used to be we gave readers the information we wanted, and when we wanted to dole it out, once a day on dead trees. Yeah, I'm referring to our print edition.

We still do that.

But the readers have spoken. They now want much more say in what we deliver - and more importantly how we deliver it. They want information 24 hours a day, delivered on their phones and tablets.

That's why I was Skypeing with Fox-29 early Sunday morning.

It's a whole new world.

I can no longer hide in the relative anonymity of print.

I routinely get stopped now on the street who recognize me either from my appearances online or out in the community.

Now if I could just do something to make this old face a tad bit more presentable.

Comments