A 'rush to judgment' at Central Bucks West

An overzealous, knee-jerk overreaction.

That's the way legendary Central Bucks West football coach Mike Pettine is now summarizing the actions of the school board there after they quickly scrapped the remainder of the football season in the wake of allegations of hazing of rookie team members that took place during summer practices.

I can't say I disagree with him.

I'm not alone.

Last night hundreds of people packed a school board meeting to show support for the football team, head football coach Brian Hensel and his staff, and slam the school board for what many are calling a rush to judgment.

It's been awhile since I've been in a locker room, but I am guessing things have not changed all that much.

What happened at CBW - guys grabbing other guys genitals over their pants; a towel being placed over a player's head and then putting him in the shower (by the way, I would hardly describe that as 'waterboarding'); and something called "sugar cookie," where fully clothed players were first soaked, then covered in powder.

The events occurred at a summer picnic for the team. It likely was something of a tradition where upperclassmen "welcome" new members of the team. It's part of the special bonding experience that comes with participation in high school sports.

When I first heard about this story, I have to say I was not surprised. In fact, it brought a smile to my face. It's kind of comforting to know - in a world that rarely resembles the one I grew up in - that some things don't change.

It's part of the bonding experience of being a member of a high school sports team.

I know a lot of people are not going to agree, that will believe this is a troubling event that has to be eradicated.

And I will tell you that it has been going on forever, and likely will continue to do so.

It does not appear there were any serious injuries suffered in this incident. The district attorney in Bucks County is asking anyone who believes they were the victim of a criminal act to come forward. I doubt anyone will.

In fact, I will tell you that I doubt that any freshman who went out for the team was surprised at some of the acts they were asked to perform. They probably knew it was part of the team's tradition, the bonding experience.

If you want to brand me a neanderthal, be my guest.

But I'm telling you first to ask any guy who participated in high school sports. I think they will tell you this kind of ritual has been going on forever.

And if they're like me, they will admit they do not see what all the fuss is about.

Instead, they will likely shake their head at the way we react to these kinds of incidents today. School boards now live in fear that someone will file some type of complaint - or even worse a lawsuit - over such conduct.

No doubt someone just might.

That's another thing that has changed.

Parents play a huge role in youth sports these days. That's not always a good thing.

Ask yourself this: When's the last time you saw a group of kids in a field playing sports. No adults, no uniforms, no trophies. Today everything has to be organized and regulated.

The result is the kind of saga that is now playing out at Central Bucks West.

The school board president at Central Bucks West told last night's crowd that he backed the quick decision by school Superintendent David Weitzel to pull the plug on the remainder of the season. He referred to the hazing rites as "intimidating and humiliating." Two other school board members agreed with him.

I'm not going to defend what the kids did. Was it stupid and immature? Sure. Do I think it was a tradition that has been going on forever? Absolutely.

So what makes this different?

I understand that bullying is a problem, in particular among high school kids.

I don't think this was bullying. This was part of the unique experience that goes into forming a football team. There is a bonding that goes on that is often forged in just this kind of hijinks.

Should these kids have been punished for what they did? Maybe.

I haven't heard a word from any of the so-called victims? Do any of them believe the season should have been cancelled?

It's the same problem I have with so much of youth sports today. It's not the kids. They can usually deal with these things just fine. It's when adults get involved that things usually get messy.

And it doesn't get much messier than what occurred at Central Bucks West.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I didn't realize touching someones balls was a unique experience that goes into forming a football team. you my friend are a douchebag
Anonymous said…
Yeah , a rush to judgment- better to do nothing and force a damaged kid to get a gun- because then you can opinion on school shootings.