Another odd claim in an increasingly bitter election season

Have you heard that the Delaware County Daily Times believes Republican state Senate candidate Tom McGarrigle is a 'hypocrite.'

Yeah, I was a little taken aback at that claim myself.

Let me try to explain.

Earlier this week Democrat John Kane rolled out a new ad bemoaning the nasty tone that has defined the race for the open state Senate seat in the 26th District. I was watching the ad when I was surprised to hear that claim attributed to the Daily Times.

First a voice in the background booms, "Ugly," with that adjective attributed to the Philadelphia Inquirer. Then it's our turn. "He's a hypocrite, slams the Delco Times," according to the narrator. At the same time a single word appears on the screen, in quotes.

"Hypocritical." It's attributed to the Delco Times, dated Oct. 10.

Since I couldn't remember us ever making such a claim, I went back and checked that days' newspaper.

They're right, there was a claim that McGarrigle was being hypocritical in that day's paper.

But it wasn't made by us.

It was part of our reporting on a press conference held in Philadelhpia by union leaders blasting McGarrigle for attacking Kane for accepting money from a union that was in hot water connected with some intimidation tactics.

It certainly did appear in the Daily Times. But it was not anything we said. It was us reporting what the union leaders said.

That suddenly becomes "Hypocritical, slams the Delco Times."

Yes, I think that's misleading.

Yes, I would like the Kane campaign to stop making that claim.

No, I don't expect them to pull the spot.

That's the way politics works these days.

They're not the only ones.

Earlier in this campaign I was taken aback by a TV ad that proclaimed "Vince Rongione is the right man for the job." That also was attributed to the Delaware Count Daily Times.

I didn't recall us offering such an endorsement, at least not yet. Rongione, a Democrat, is locked in a tight battle with Republican Jamie Santora. It also came as news to several county Republican leaders who called and asked if they had missed the endorsement.

They did not.

This also was taken from a story that appeared in the paper in which a group was offering its endorsement for Rongione. Yes, it appeared in the Daily Times. No, it was not us saying that, it was us reporting it.

During his recent interview with our editorial board, I told Rongione I thought the ad was misleading.

I would tell Kane the same thing.

If you are interested in our endorsements, we kick them off today with our picks in the state legislative races, along with our two Congressional races.

And an early confession. I made a glaring typo in the print edition. I said Jamie Santora, the Republican squaring off with Rongione in the 163rd District race to replace Rep. Nick Micozzie, had worked for Joe Sestak. Obviously I meant that reference for Rongione. I know that. Luckily I corrected the online version.

I can admit my mistake.

I wonder if candidates would do the same when they misrepresent what the paper has said?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Why would they? There is no positive side to the candidates correcting their errors.