Commuting in Delco: The agony of I-95 & the Blue Route

There are a lot of things about this job that drive me crazy.

I am up to my neck in technology that I never dreamed would exist when I first got into this racket. I now deliver information 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

I am all over social media. For some reason more than 3,628 people follow me on Twitter.

Then there is the hours. They are long and brutal.

There is, however, a silver lining to getting into the office at the ungodly hour I arrive each day. Every morning, I am pretty much alone on the highways. It is a beautiful thing. I am basically alone with my thoughts, bracing myself for the manic, breakneck speed of the day that lies ahead.

I actually see some of the same people on the roads each day, delivery drivers, and clearly a few people who are on the same schedule as I am.

All of which is to say if I were to be out on the roads a few hours later, I'm not sure I could do it.

I get into the office, turn on my radio tuned to KYW, then the TV, then my laptop, in that order.

It does not take long for the agony of the Delaware Valley's daily commute to commence.

Why anyone in their right mind travels on I-95 of the Blue Route (I-476) is beyond me.

For the past two days a construction project has caused huge backups on I-95 south near the Blue Route. They are repaving the road, which it direly needs. But the road to reconstruction is paved with commuter nightmares.

The past two days, the work has gone long, extending into the morning commute. The result: Massive traffic backups.

Today, I-95 is crawling southbound from the airport through the interchange with I-476.

Of course, that also causes problems on the Blue Route, which is backed up southbound as people try to exit onto I-95.

Me, I'm just sitting here in the bliss of my early-morning routine, thanking God for the small favor of being on the road when almost no one else is traveling.

Comments