Oh, deer!

It's official. Fall is here.

I know this not by the calendar, nor the chill in the air, or the fact that I now drive home in the dark, much as I drive into the office before the sun is up.

I know this by my 'friends' who accompany me on my commute.

ATTENTION DRIVERS. The deer are everywhere.

Now I've become fairly accomplished in dodging these critters. I've almost developed an antenna that seems to pick up their sense, warning me that they are lurking out there. Of course, it also helps that their eyes get a distinctive gleam off in the distance when your headlights hit them.

Of course, I can also offer this bit of advice should you encounter a deer crossing in front of you. Stop! After doing this for years, I can tell you there is rarely any such thing as one deer darting across the road. Just when you think you've again managed to dodge Bambi, her friends trail along behind her, right in the path of your car.

But I have to admit this morning I encountered something I have never seen before.

As I made my way through the construction along Route 252 at Rose Tree Park, I thought to myself that there is in fact one benefit to traveling at that ungodly hour. I can only imagine what traffic is like trying to get through the intersection of Rose Tree Road to get on the Route 1 Bypass during rush hour.

But as I cam through the intersection I saw something I have never seen before. Standing right there in the middle of the bridge that goes over the Bypass was a large deer.

He looked right at me and gave the distinct impression he was not going to budge.

Slowly he sauntered across the road and started making his way down the ramp toward the Bypass. Maybe he was headed to Granite Run Mall. More likely he was merely trying to find his way back to the woods.

Be careful out there!

Comments