The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

I hate the bye week. Is it just me, or does it seem more like two months since the Eagles played as opposed to two weeks.

Actually, the break probably came at a good time for the banged-up Birds. Mychal Kendricks is expected to be back at linebacker. Darren Sproles, who tweaked a knee in the rout of the Giants, will not miss any time. Even offensive linemen Evan Mathis and Jason Kelce are feeling better, although neither will play on Sunday.

Eagles fans will have to wait until 4 o’clock Sunday as the Birds fly to the desert to meet the Cardinals in Phoenix. Both teams stand at 5-1.

This game likely will rest on the shoulders - or perhaps better stated the right arm - of quarterback Nick Foles. Under former Temple coach Bruce Arians and defensive coordinator Todd Bowles, himself a former Eagles coach, the Cardinals are the stingiest team in the league against the run.

That does not bode well for a big day from Shady McCoy. But the Cardinals are not nearly as efficient against the pass. That means Foles needs to deliver.

Let’s hope Chip Kelly can pull a little Andy Reid magic out of his bag of tricks in terms of this post-bye game. Reid was a master in the game after the week off.

Phoenix is never an easy place to play.

It’s in the hands of Nick Foles. Play well and he could dispel a lot of the doubters. If he struggles and the Birds fall, it’s going to be a long Monday on the phone lines.

I say he delivers.

The Pick: Make it Eagles 24, Cardinals 23. Don’t forget Cody Parkey. He’s been money so far, but this one might come with the game on the line.

Season Record: I certainly didn’t see the Eagles blowing out the Giants to go 5-1. I’m still not sure if the Eagles - especially on defense - are that good, on Tom Coughlin’s team is just lousy this year. That prediction dropped me to 4-2 on the season.

Game by Game: Eagles 27, Giants 0 (My Pick: Giants 31, Rams 26)

Eagles 34, Rams 28 (My Pick: Eagles 35, Rams 19)

49ers 26, Eagles 21 (My Pick: 49ers 33, Eagles 29)

Eagles 34, Jaguars 17 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Jags 16)

Eagles 30, Colts 27 (My Pick: Colts 29, Eagles 23)

Eagles 37, Redskins 34 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Redskins 23)

Comments