They're all talk - but no debate - in the bitter 26th District state Senate race

Don't hold your breath waiting for a debate between the candidates in the bitterly contested race for the open 26th District state Senate seat.

It doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Republican Tom McGarrigle has been pushing Democrat John Kane for weeks to debate him. After an initial offer to appear before at a forum hosted and moderated by the Delaware County Chamber of Commerce was rejected by the Dems because the group already had indicated they were endorsing McGarrigle, my name got floated out there as a possible moderator.

I made my role - if any - clear.

I would be happy to serve as moderator, but the ground rules and other parameters would be up to the candidates. To be honest, I had a somewhat selfish motive.

I wanted to have the two men sit down with me last Wednesday for our weekly live-stream Internet show, 'Live From the Newsroom.' But the two sides could not agree on that date.

More emails ensued. (Anyone else wonder who we communicated before email?).

I actually enjoyed the back and forth between Caitlin Ganley, from the McGarrigle camp, and Dylan McGarry, representing Kane. They took turns accusing each other of ducking the debate.

But they still have not agreed to meet, and now it looks like it may not happen.

So in the interest of democracy - and of course of promoting my show - I will make one final offer.

Gentlemen, I am more than willing to host the two of you this Wednesday night for my 'Live From the Newsroom' show. We can do it here in our offices in Primos, or if you can agree on a potential site, just let me know where.

We'll go for a half-hour, or as long as the two of you think you need.

Aside from the governor's race, this is likely the most high-profile, hotly contested race in the state. The people casting their ballots in the 26th District deserve the chance to see the two of you debate the crucial issues, instead of lobbing negative ads at each other.

I await your reply.

Comments

Bob said…
Kane refused to debate McGarrigle the entire time. I believe he even refused a debate from the "league of women voters" early on and they sponsor a debate on almost every decent election.