Deer me - they're everywhere!

I've gotten pretty adept over the years at dodging my four-legged friends on my early-morning commute.

But this morning I saw something I have never seen before.

I know most of the trouble spots. Driving Providence Road from West Chester Pike to the Media Bypass can literally be like a slalom course many mornings, with deer seeming around every bend.

Thankfully there are a few tips I can offer. Your headlights are your best friend. When they hit the eyes of an animal - they can be seen far off in the distance.

Most important, remember this. If you see one deer dart across the road in front of you, by all means slow down or ever stop. Guaranteed there are several coming right behind the lead Bambi.

But none of that prepared me for what I saw this morning - on Bishop Avenue of all places.

I don't usually go down Bishop, from Baltimore Pike to Providence Road, but for some reason Oak Avenue, my normal route, was closed off by PECO trucks this a.m. So I had to circle back to Bishop. I was making my way down the hill and approaching the Media-Elwyn railroad tracks when what wanders out into the road? Yep, a full-grown deer, with a couple of pals in tow. They strolled across Bishop and ambled through a yard along the railroad tracks. Maybe they were headed for North Park nearby in Springfield. But I have never seen deer in this area of Upper Darby before.

If they were looking for the Bazaar of All Nations, they were a few years late.

Be careful out there.

Comments