The ordeal of Scott McMillan

Some days I hate this job.

This story did not occur in Delaware County. I still put it on today's front page.

It's real easy in this business to develop a pretty rough exterior. We are exposed to a lot of bad news every day.

That still did not prepare me for what happened to Scott McMillan. He was 3 years old.

I am not going to repeat what his mother and her live-in boyfriend allegedly did to little Scott in a trailer in West Caln, outside of Coatesville. Suffice it to say that it was inhuman. I don't know what kind of evil propels people to do some things. You would like to think that we live in a world where something as ghastly as this could not happen to children.

You would be wrong. I prove it every day with the stories that appear in the newspaper and website.

I'm really not sure what should happen to the two people police believe are responsible for these horrific acts. I have no thirst for revenge, or that the same thing should happen to them. I know that is not a popular opinion today.

Instead, I would like to know what kind of subhuman organism is capable of such craven actions. What could this little guy possibly have done to deserve such an ordeal.

As I said, some days I hate this job.

And some days you just shake your head.

And then - like today - you do both.

Comments