The word of the day is 'Faltribution'

I learned a new word over the weekend.

Call it 'Faltribution.'

I wish I could take credit for it, but in the interest of proper attribution, I must note that the source is Andy Reilly. The head of the Delco GOP emailed me over the weekend to note an interesting development that I've addressed before in my blog, and today in my print column.

That is the odd practice of taking a quote that appears in the Daily Times, and using it as being attributed to the newspaper. Democrats have now done this twice in this campaign.

First Vince Rongione ran an ad noting he was "the best man for the job" in his race for the 163rd District against Republican Jamie Santora. Underneat the quote was the attribution, "Delaware County Daily Times."

Uh, not exactly. That appeared in one of our stories, but it was a quote used at a press conference where a group was backing Rongione. Not exactly the same thing.

Now 26th District state Senate candidate John Kane is up to the same kind of shenanigans. He's running an ad lamenting the negative tone of the campaign. In the spot he quotes the Daily Times as calling McGarrigle 'a hypocrite.' Just for good measure the voice-over adds, "slams the Daily Times," in describing McGarrigle's actions.

Again, that's not exactly the case.

The 'hypocrite' quote appeared in a story in which Philly union members were blasting McGarrigle.

So there you have it.

Faltribution, short for false attribution.

Wish I had thought of that one.

Comments