Wolf Pack, but not six-packs in Wawa, or liquor privatization

One more footnote on the landslide election of Democrat Tom Wolf as the next governor of Pennsylvania.

There is a downside, at least for me.

Wolf is not in favor of privatizing the state liquor stores. His opponent, incumbent Republican Gov. Tom Corbett, had made it one of his "Big 3" agenda items. The push included something that has never happened before - the House actually voted and passed a privatization plan. Unfortunately, it got scuttled in the Senate amid wrangling over that massive transportation package. Now it's likely back to Square One, if it goes anywhere at all.

At this point, I'm thinking that modernizing the state stores is probably the best we can get.

Look, I'm not financial wizard. My argument here is not about how much revenue the state collects from the sale of alcohol, or how much it loses by "border bleeders," those close to the state line who decide to buy in a neighboring state where selection is better and prices usually cheaper.

All I want to do is be able to do what so many citizens in other states can do. When I am doing the weekly grocery shopping, I'd like to walk down a couple of aisles in my supermarket and grab a case of beer and maybe a bottle of wine. Or maybe I want to sample a single or a six-pack of a new craft brew.

As it is now, I can buy beer in my supermarket, but I have to do it in a separate part of the store, pay for it there and face a limit on how much I can buy. In other words, no cases. To me that's not convenience.

Speaking of convenience, how nice would it be to be able to walk into a cooler in Wawa and grab a cold six-pack on the way home. Not in Pennsylvania, and likely not any time soon. Right now if I want a six-pack, that means a trip to the local deli or tavern, and prices that border on gouging. Forget about buying a case. That means a trip to a beer distributor.

Of course, if I want wine or alcohol, that means a trip to the state store.

All I really want is to be able to make all these purchases in one place, preferably the supermarket, where I'm already going for groceries.

Maybe some day, but it's pretty clear not any time soon.

I will continue to volunteer my services to be there on the day when they blow up the state store system. I want my hands on the plunger.

I'm not going to hold my breath.

Pennsylvania, Land of Giants.

Comments

Albert Brooks said…
This could work out very well for not only those of us in favor of liquor privatization but smaller government, not using state resources to do union work and eventually right to work. The Republican majority will prevent any number of proposed Wolf tax increases but will probably pass some of the "feel good" items and take credit as being able to work with Wolf. However to get anything done on his agenda that is not in line with the House or Senate he will have to deal and the state stores are only one of the few things he has to deal with and are easily given up in the face of consistent decades long public support of wanting to be rid of the state store system.