The Dreaded Saturday Eagles Pick

Well, this is depressing.

Chip Kelly and the Eagles have gone Grinch on us, stealing Christmas from Eagles fans, who now must slog their way through a meaningless season finale in North Jersey against the Giants.

That’s because Kelly’s Eagles have collapsed.

It’s hard to believe it was just a month ago that the Birds strode into Dallas on Thanksgiving and dismantled the Cowboys. They sat at 9-3 and were thinking about a first-round bye in the playoffs.

Now they’re outside looking in, and the view is not pretty.

The Eagles failed to address an inadequate secondary and it burned them.

They thought their hurry-up dink and dunk offense would be able to compensate for Chip Kelly’s decision to let DeSean Jackson walk. Didn’t quite turn out that way.

And they are slowly coming around to the likelihood that Chip Kelly’s franchise quarterback is not on this roster. The Eagles have lost three in a row, getting dominated by the Seahawks in a cold, slap in the face that they still have not shaken off, falling to the Cowboys at home, and then inexplicably failing to show up and losing a game to the lowly Redskins.

Now the party’s over. People are starting to grumble, about the loss of Jackson, the secondary and some other decisions Kelly has made.

That’s what happens when 9-3 turns into 9-6.

Kelly has insisted all week he will play his starters Sunday against the Giants. I don’t know why. They aren’t going to learn whether or not they have a possible cornerback who can actually stay with an NFL receiver. They aren’t going to find out if Matt Barkley can be a suitable NFL backup QB.

I say the Eagles tailspin continues, and they end what was a most promising season with an ugly four-game losing stream that would make the ‘64 Phillies proud.

Bring on the Flyers and Sixers. On second thought ...

Spring training? Not much to look forward to there.

Welcome to the winter of our discontent.

The Pick: Make it Giants 27, Eagles 26. Raise your hand if you saw this coming back on Thanksgiving? Thought so.

Season Record: Bottom line on the 2014 Eagles? They just weren’t that good. I believe this team is closer to the one that has now lost three straight than that bunch that stood 9-3. That disturbing loss to the Redskins dropped the Eagles to 9-6,. They fooled me as well. I didn’t think there was any way they would lost that game. One thing we’ve been able to count on with Chip Kelly. He beats the teams he’s supposed to beat. Not any more. My season record now sits just a game over .500 at 8-7.

Game by Game: Redskins 27 Eagles 24 (My Pick: Eagles 26, Redskins 13)

Cowboys 38, Eagles 27 (My Pick: Eagles 30, Cowboys 26)

Seahawks 24, Eagles 14 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Seahawks 23)

Eagles 33, Cowboys 10 (My Pick: Cowboys 29, Eagles 26)

Eagles 43, Titans 24 (My Pick: Eagles 34, Titans 23)

Packers 53, Eagles 20, 21 (My Pick: Packers 33, Eagles 24)

Eagles 45, Panthers 21 (My Pick: Eagles 33, Panthers 17)

Eagles 31, Texans 21 (My Pick: Eagles 29, Texans 19)

Cardinals 24, Eagles 20 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Cardinals 23)

Eagles 27, Giants 0 (My Pick: Giants 31, Eagles 26)

Eagles 34, Rams 28 (My Pick: Eagles 35, Rams 19)

49ers 26, Eagles 21 (My Pick: 49ers 33, Eagles 29)

Eagles 34, Jaguars 17 (My Pick: Eagles 31, Jags 16)

Eagles 30, Colts 27 (My Pick: Colts 29, Eagles 23)

Eagles 37, Redskins 34 (My Pick: Eagles 24, Redskins 23)

Comments