Pains me to say it - the Cowboys got hosed

I'm about the last person to feel sorry for the Cowboys.

I pretty much despise Jerry Jones and everything about the organization with that star on the helmet.

Yeah, you know the one. America's team. My feelings were forged during a my youth, seeing Tom Landry routinely run up the score on Eagles teams year after year.

I don't give a hoot about New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, or who he roots for, but his arrogance in rubbing the faces of local sports fans in his zeal for Dallas rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Count me on that list.

I was among those apoplectic last week when what looked like a very questionable call opened the door for the Cowboys to beat the Lions and advance to yesterday's matchup with the Packers at Lambeau Field.

Having said all that, it pains me to admit the Cowboys got hosed yesterday.

You know what I'm talking about.

Can someone explain to me how that incredible catch by Dez Bryant that would have given the Cowboys a first down at the Packers' 6-inch line and likely paved the way for a winning score was overruled?

Remember it was fourth down. The result was that instead of likely setting up a Dallas score, it was Packers' ball. The Cowboys never got it back as the Green Bay ran out the clock.

When I first heard that the play was being reviewed, I was certain the ruling on the field would stand.

Bryant clearly outleaps the Green Bay defender, snares the ball, comes down, takes a couple of steps forward, then collapses to the ground, in the process extending his arm to the goal line. When the ball hit the ground, that's when it popped loose.

The ruling stemmed from the fact that - in their view - Bryant did not continue his possession as he went to the ground.

I think they missed the point - and in the process blew the call. Here's the explanation.

If Bryant had tumbled immediately to the ground, they would have gotten it right. He didn't. He actually took a couple of wild, staggering steps - unquestionably an athletic, football move - after the catch and before he went to the ground. He had already made the catch and established clear possession.

Amazingly, Cowboys coach Jason Garrett and owner Jerry Jones were fairly magnanimous after the game.

Which only makes me believe that much more they knew they got lucky - or maybe something else - in that call the week before.

I guess these things even out - even for the Cowboys.

Comments