Snow Job: Your early Tuesday morning roads report

I think this is what they refer to as "dodging the bullet."

I don't know how else to explain what happened over the past 24 hours.

That would be my explanation. But hey, I'm not meteorologist, or a weather forecaster. I don't even play one on TV. I limit myself to the pages of the newspaper.

They call that spin. We're going to be hearing a lot of it today.

In other words, we did not get "Snowmageddon," or "Snowpocalypse."

Actually, in some places, we only got a dusting.

When I first woke up and peered out the bedroom window early this morning, I thought I was delusional, actually not an unusual state for me at that hour. I always check the windshield of the car. It looked pretty much the way I left it when I pulled in the night before.

When I got out to the car, I noticed the exact same tire tracks as when I pulled into the driveway. I didn't even have to brush off the car.

In terms of the commute, again no problems.

There was the same dusting of snow in my development, but the main roads were really just wet.

It was not snowing at all until I got closer to Delaware County.

West Chester Pike: No problem.

Usually when there is bad weather, I alter my morning route. I don't normally feel like tangling with Providence Road from Route 3 over to the West Chester Bypass, instead taking the Pike all the way to Sproul Road and then cutting across that way. But this morning since I wasn't seeing much in the way of snow, I decided to stick with the usual route. Again no problem.

I finally saw a dusting of snow when I got to Rose Tree Park.

The Route 1 Bypass was just wet.

Springfield Road in Springfield had a light covering of snow, but even that disappeared as I got closer to Bishop Avenue. Of course the most snow I saw the entire drive was on Cottonwood Lane, the tiny street that runs next to the Wawa from Oak Avenue back to the Daily Times offices.

So what happened? That's a good question.

Look, I don't live in central or north Jersey. Nor do I reside in New York City or Boston.

I'm not sure when exactly the Philadelphia suburbs expanded to Allentown and the Poconos.

The bottom line, I guess, is that forecasting is a very inexact science.

We clearly didn't get the snow that was forecast.

Most forecasts were calling for anywhere from 6-10 inches for the Philadelphia area, with areas farther east and north getting more snow.

But I did not expect not getting any new snow overnight.

That didn't stop all public and parochial schools from shutting down in Philadelphia. They made that decision yesterday.

I guess I should be glad we didn't get that much snow. For some reason I'm not.

I still hate winter. And the forecasts that go with it.

Comments