24 hours after a nightmare, here is your Monday morning roads report

One day after ice turned area roads into a deadly nightmare, here is a report from an early morning commute: Take it easy and you should be fine.

Once you carve out your car that is.

I stepped out the door and gingerly made my way up an icy driveway to find my car encased in a thin coating of ice. The doors were a bit cranky but I got them open. The windshield and windows required some work.

Once out on the road, it became apparent that PennDOT and municipalities were not going to be caught off-guard again. There is salt everywhere and I encountered several salt trucks on my commute into the office.

The main roads are pretty much OK; the side roads are a bit more slick.

Here's the key: There is almost no one on the roads when I am driving. I am guessing that things will get a lot messier once the roads get crowded.

I encountered no problems on West Chester Pike, Providence Road, the Route 1 Bypass, or Springfield Road.

Temperatures were hovering right around 30 degrees, so there is the possibility of ice being out there.

I'd also caution anyone walking. Sidewalks and other untreated surfaces will be slick.

We also will get a huge break today because it is a holiday for many, making the national day of service in honor of the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Many schools and offices are closed, so traffic will be down considerably.

There is another reason I wanted to write about the weather this morning.

I vent almost constantly about how much I dislike winter, and cold weather, and the resultant snow and ice that can make getting anywhere a challenge.

I also am less than a fan of the way local TV stations handle the weather, constantly droning on about even the slightest chance of flurries.

So here is my question: Did I miss something Saturday night. I watch the news and listen to the radio almost constantly.

I thought I heard Sunday being constantly referred to as a "rain event." I don't recall any ice warnings.

I also am wondering if PennDOT will be questioned about their response. They say they had trucks out Saturday night salting surfaces. That did not stop major arteries turning into a icy nightmare.

I am hoping this morning does not offer a repeat.

Take it easy out there.

Comments

Dottie Kerns said…
Appreciate the road report. I only have to travel a couple of miles, but that can seem very long in bad weather. You are right about the news they only mentioned rain for yesterday. I go out around 7AM to get my papers on Sunday, but yesterday after watching the news I waited till noon.
Anonymous said…
You are right. The weather was called a "rain event" and not one word was said about ice. And the station I watch never addressed the ice situation in the Sunday night broadcast. I know it's just forecasting but once again the meteorologists were wrong. Probably the only profession where you can be wrong and not lose your job!