About Brian Williams

Readers are never shy about telling us when they feel we've done something wrong.

It's part of the mutual trust we have - us in them and them in us. When they believe we've bent those parameters, they get on the horn and let us know.

At times like those, such as Wednesday when I fielded dozens of calls from perplexed readers wondering how we managed to run the exact same comics and puzzles pages two days in a row, I try to comfort myself with the certain knowledge that, "It could always be worse." That was confirmed less than a day later.

I could be Brian Williams.

Let me preface this by saying I like the NBC News anchor. He's a Philly area guy who once served as a volunteer fireman in his home town in New Jersey.

This week, instead of reading the headlines, Williams became one because of an unimaginable gaffe surrounding a story he's been telling about an incident that occurred while he was on assignment in the Iraq war.

In short, Williams claimed that the copter he was in was hit by enemy fire and forced down in the desert. As it turns out it was a helicopter in front of the one carrying Williams that was involved and his did not come along until some time later.

After questions were raised, including reports in Stars & Stripes, Williams offered an apology, including one he delivered at the end of the NBC Nightly News Wednesday night.

And he offered this explanation: "The fog of memory over 12 years made me conflate the two, and I apologize."

I'm left with trying to figure out how that is possible. Thankfully, I have never been shot at. But I think I would remember it if I had, in particular if the car, plane, helicopter or any other vehicle I was riding in was hit by gunfire.

There are some who now are accusing Williams of practicing stolen valor, making a claim about military service that is not true. Williams denied that and I believe him. He's a journalist. We love great stories. For some reason, he apparently added a little luster to this one.

Credibility is about all we have in this business. Williams' has just taken a big hit.

Tom Brokaw, the man who sat in that anchor seat for many years before him, apparently wants him fired, according to a report in the New York Post. NBC has not made any statement or given any indication whether Williams will be disciplined.

Like I said, I field complaints all day, but it can always be worse.

Just ask Brian Williams.

Comments