About that Flyers' teaser

No, Flyers fans, you are not dreaming.

Your guys did suffer a tough, 2-1 overtime loss last night in Montreal - despite what it says on the front page of our print edition today.

In other words, we made a mistake. I'm not sure exactly as yet how that occurred, but I will find out and make sure it does not happen again.

In the wake of the Brian Williams' affair, newspapers and other media outlets are increasingly coming under the microscope by readers who wonder about the news we are feeding them.

Most of that stems from a belief that we are tailoring the news to fit out particular political bent. It's not something I do here at the Daily Times, but I do know this: Our reputation begins and ends with accuracy. That is, after all, our first edict: Get it right.

When we make this kind of mistake, we undermine that crucial bond with our readers. We open the door for them to question what else might be incorrect. In other words, it undermines the trust our readers - at least most of them - have in us.

Some might believe I'm overreacting. Maybe I am. This wasn't anything sinister or based on any kind of ideology we are intent on pushing on our readers. This was just a simple mistake. I make them every day. Readers who visit our website early in the morning can attest that I am not without blame in this department. I can make my share of typos with the best of them.

But I wanted readers to know that I was aware of the mistake on today's front page, and assure them we will take steps to avoid repeating it.

Comments