Hamels puts a splotch on a very special day

Cole Hamels is pushing his luck.

Today is one of the best days of winter. Why? Two words: Pitchers & Catchers.

As we continue to shiver in this miserable cold, the sight of the Phillies in Clearwater is enough to warm your heart.

So of course Hamels decides to throw a little cold water on our case of spring fever.

I have this policy about the guys who played on the 2008 Phils.

You will never hear me say a bad word about them. Ryan Howard whiffs again with a runner in scoring position? It happens. Chase Utley boots a routine grounder? Get 'em next time. Jimmy Rollins fails to run out an infield fly? I understand.

Why this stance from a guy who is notoriously critical of the home teams?

This one is easy.

I can actually sum this one up in one word: Parade.

The 2008 Phillies gave us a parade. Hamels, Rollins - now departed for the warmer climes in L.A. - Howard and Utley won a World Series title and gave us a party to remember.

Hamels is not a happy camper.

The Phils apparently were unable to move him in the offseason, and now he's letting everyone know he'd just as soon move on. Hamels told USA Today yesterday: "I just want to win."

I can't really say I blame him, but here's the thing.

Hamels wasn't saying that when he signed that megabuck contract, making him the most expensive pitcher in Phillies history, a few years back.

These athletes never do. That's the way it works.

Hamels said the Phillies recent tailspin took him by surprise. That would make him one of the few.

"When I signed my contract, the Phi8llies told me they would contend. They told me they would contend every year. But things happen." Yes, and what Hamels wants to happen now is a trade. There is very little chance Hamels will finish this season with the Phils. That is if Ruben Amaro Jr. can't move him during spring training. The asking price is apparently sky-high, as it should be, and there are not a lot of takers, since most teams rightly figure the Phils are going to wind up dealing Hamels anyhow.

Fans don't get that option.

They sit on their porch on sticky, humid nights listening to their team on the radio.

Actually, right now that doesn't sound that bad.

Comments

David E. McGee said…
I am confused by your sentiment, Mr. Heron.

Many who are unhappy with their work environs voice their displeasure. Most do not do so with tact and forthrightness. When Cole does it, it is putting "a splotch on a very special day." When I do it, I am a disgruntled worker.

He didn't say, "I am not happy that the Phils are not keeping their word to me." He said, "I just want to win." To me, that sounds like someone who is unhappy with the way things are going at work, but is willing to do his part to get things going in the right direction.

If that means that he would rather work for a company that does have the interests of its employees near the top of its list of priorities, wouldn't you, too, prefer that? I would. Right now, i am fortunate enough to work for a company which is making moves to retain employees, knowing that it is them who makes the company what it is. The Phillies, conversely, do not appear to want to build for success. Rather, they seem to be willing to be mediocre.

Forget the fans; what does that tell the employees?