So what do you think the reaction would be if that had been the Eagles losing that game

I actually had to blink my eyes to be sure I really had just seen what just played out on my TV.

I'm not talking about Katy Perry, or any of those Super Bowl commercials.

I'm talking about Pete Carroll's decision to throw the ball on second and goal from the Patriots 1-yard line. It appeared the Patriots were about to be impaled by another miracle catch after Jermaine Kearse's acrobatic catch gave the Seahawks the ball on the Pats' 5-yard line. On first down, Seattle went "Beast Mode," slamming Marshawn Lynch to the 1.

Let's review. You've got the NFL's best back, a guy who simply refuses to be stopped, who gets more yards after he gets hit than any back I've ever seen.

So what to you do? You pass, of course.

This is today's NFL. It smacks of both Andy Reid and Chip Kelly, guys who think they're smarter than everyone else. This one blew up in Carroll's face. New England's Malcolm Butler jumped the quick slant intended for Ricardo Lockette. Game, set and match.

It's a call Pete Carroll will have to live with the rest of his life.

He had Lynch and 26 seconds left on the clock, second down. And he decided to pass.

Unreal.

I had two thoughts after watching that bizarre ending to what was admittedly a great Super Bowl game.

First and foremost, what do you think the reaction would be here in Philly had the Eagles lost the Super Bowl in such agonizing fashion - and questionable play-calling.

And finally, and maybe I'm being petty here, but I certainly hope not one reporter went up to Marshawn Lynch after the game and asked him about his coach's decision not to give him the ball again at the 1-yard line.

After all, he's just there so he won't get fined.

Comments