The lure of $485 million dollars

I don't normally play the lottery. I don't like the odds.

I'd rather take that money and stick it under my mattress for a rainy day. And these days it's pouring.

But of course I am in an office pool for tonight's massive $485 million dollar Powerball jackpot. I can't even grasp just how much money that is, and I don't really spend a lot of time thinking about what I'd do if we hit. The odds are astronomical. That does not mean I'm not getting in. And here's why.

I have a theory on this. You can't really take the risk of not getting in, can you? I mean, really, could you live with yourself if you were watching all your co-workers up there accepting one of those big checks knowing you decided to take a pass? Just can't do it.

How many other people out there are like me, who don't normally play, except when the jackpot gets into record territory and everyone in the office starts dreaming of a home on the beach?

To be honest, I don't know who would be left here to put out the paper if we hit. So if your paper is late tomorrow morning, you might know why.

Comments