Your morning commuter report from the roads

As I drove home Monday night, one thought stayed with me: Tomorrow morning is going to be a disaster.

That's because the closer I got to home, the icier things got.

Just getting from the car to the front door was an adventure.

Then, we actually got lucky.

I find it hard to believe that I'm saying this, but here goes: I've been so happy that we got some snow. The light dusting that covered the secondary streets was just enough to provide some traction but not make a total mess of things.

Yes, this morning it is going to take you awhile to scrape off your car. Pretty much everything is coated with a thin layer of ice.

But I was actually pleasantly surprised at the condition of the roads. Of course I have to temper that with the knowledge that I travel when there are very few people on the roads.

But the main roads are fine. Most of them are just wet.

Once I got on this side of West Chester, it did not even appear as if it had snowed.

West Chester Pike was in good shape. Usually when we are looking at bad weather, I don't bother with Providence Road, which takes me from West Chester Pike over to the Route 1 Bypass. But this morning it was for the most part just wet.

The Bypass was no problem, as was Springfield Road.

Probably the toughest part of your commute will be parking lots and sidewalks.

Now this could all change once everybody gets out there on the roads. There will always be a few knuckleheads intent on proving they can handle any conditions and drive as fast - or as slow - as they want.

But my commute was not nearly as bad as I envisioned last night. And that light dusting of snow proved to be a lifesaver.

Here's the full forecast. Here's a hint. Winter isn't over. It is going to get very cold later this week. Swell.

Comments