Your morning report from the icy roads

This morning we are paying the price for that beautiful thaw we had Sunday afternoon.

Anything that melted has now frozen over again.

The main roads that I traveled on my early a.m. commute were fine, but I can tell you that there is a lot of standing water out there, and it has all frozen solid. That would include sidewalks and parking lots. If you see something that looks wet, you can pretty much count on it being ice.

The real problem is on side roads, especially in spots where melting snow has run across the road. The dropping temperatures overnight has turned those little streams of water into solid ice. If you happen to hit one of them - especially on a turn as I do at several spots - can be a problem.

Still, I have to admit that after spending Sunday morning digging out from Saturday's snow storm and clearing the end of the driveway where the snow plow piled so much of the snow, Sunday afternoon was almost like a harbinger of spring.

As I walked into the house Sunday afternoon after a trip to the grocery store, I actually heard birds chirping.

Spring can't be far behind.

Unfortunately, it's not going to get here this week.

We're looking at another cold week.

Here's the latest forecast.

Be careful out there on the roads this morning.

Comments