A great night for the media at Neumann

Yesterday I was singing the praises of Mo'ne Davis.

Turns out I didn't have to go that far to find some outstanding young people.

Last night I was on the campus of Neumann University for a meeting of the Advisory Board of the school's Communication Media Arts program.

More importantly, I met some young people who were inducted into Lambda Pi Eta, Psi Phi Chapter Honor Society. These are the best and brightest kids in the Neumann Communication Media Arts program.

I have been in this newspaper for more than three decades. I stopped counting how many times I've heard the complaint that young people are not reading newspapers - or anything for that matter. And that their writing and communications skills seemingly diminish with every text message they compose.

These kids put the lie to that premise.

They are the future of media.

And Neumann is investing heavily in that future.

Before the induction ceremony, their media arts guru reviewed the impressive plans the school has for state-of-the-art radio and TV studios, as well as writing labs, on the campus.

One thing is certain: When these kids come out of Neumann, they will be ready to pick up the mantle of journalism for a new generation, delivered on every imaginable platform.

Once a month we take our livestream Internet broadcast, 'Live From the Newsroom,' to the Widener campus to take advantage of their brand spanking new TV studio. The students do all the production work, including manning the sound and cameras. They even try futilely to make this old face look good.

I look forward to being able to do the same from the Neumann campus. Consider that my way of inviting myself, Sean. Thanks as well to faculty adviser Karen Thomas (you know her from her many years delivering the weather and news on local TV) for the invitation.

And the best part? I got to meet WPHT-1210 talk show host Chris Stigall and longtime WMGK DJ and programming director Debbi Calton, a familiar face in Delco with whom I've done many events.

Calton was lauded as the school's Special Guest of Honor for 2015.

Great kids. Great night.

Comments