Another step toward the end of the state stores

I don't think it's exactly a trade secret that I'm one of the state's foremost proponents of privatizing the sales of alcohol.

I once had a deal with Ron Raymond, the former longtime Delco state rep who sat on the state Liquor Control Committee. I would always joke with him that I wanted to be there, with my hands on the plunger, when they blew up the state store system.

Having said that, I don't necessarily like the idea of anyone losing their job. And make no mistake, under the plan currently being pushed again by Republican House speaker Rep. Mike Turzai, R-Allegheny, some people likely will wind up out of work.

I also am willing to concede another key point made by union leader Wendell Young IV and other anti-privatization forces. I'm not sure that once you get past the up-front revenue from the sale of licenses to private entities, that these numbers add up.

But that's not my point.

None of that is why I am against privatization.

Rather, it's because I've lived in other states. I see how they handle alcohol sales.

And I think it's time for Pennsylvania to escape from the Dark Ages.

It's the focus of my print column this week.

Comments