Singing the praises of Mo'ne Davis

It's hard to turn around these days without bumping into Mo'ne Davis.

The teen Little League sensation from Philly's Taney Dragons seems to be everywhere.

After becoming the first girl to earn a win and pitch a shutout in the Little League World Series, Davis has been something of a media sensation, appearing on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She got a book deal and published a 'memoir' at the tender age of 13, and now a movie on her exploits is in the works.

I've been among those who raised an eyebrow over all the hype surrounding this young woman.

I was wrong.

I started to change my mind after seeing Davis appear on camera in a series of interviews. She struck me as a singularly composed, down to Earth, sensible young lady.

But I've never been more impressed than I was yesterday.

After news stories appeared on the possible Disney movie based on her life, a college student - a fellow baseball player at that - fired off a Tweet with an incredibly unfair, sexist slur targeting Davis.

Yes, the Internet now thinks 13-year-old girls are fair game.

The incredibly bone-headed social media blunder caused Bloomsburg University to boot the athlete off the baseball team.

That's when Mo'ne got involved.

Not to gloat in her attacker being put in his place, but instead to urge the school to give him a second chance.

That's right, Davis has asked Bloomsburg to reconsider their decision and allow the player back on the team.

While admitting the Tweet stung, instead of firing back, Davis instead extended an olive leaf.

"Everyone makes mistakes," Davis said. "It hurt on my part, but I know he's hurt even more. If it was me, I would want to take that back. I know how hard he's worked. Why not give him a second chance?"

Bloomsburg says it appreciates the "level of maturity" shown by Davis, but for now the school stands by its decision.

In a world that is now ruled by instantaneous thoughts delivered in staccato 140-character bursts, a 13-year-old girl is proving we are capable of so much more.

It's often been said that Mo'ne Davis can serve as an example for other kids to follow.

Never more than yesterday.

You go, girl.

Comments