Your early Friday morning report from the roads

We survived.

Yes, we had dodged the bullet on one storm after another most of the winter.

Until yesterday.

In a word, we got hammered. With a storm tagged 'Thor,' Mother Nature dumped as much as 8 inches of snow on the region, making travel, especially anything involving a car, an adventure.

The good news is that I can report the roads are in amazingly good shape this morning.

All the roads I traveled on my early-morning commute were plowed. Yes, some were snow-covered, but others were clean down to the pavement.

I encountered no real problems on West Chester Pike, the Media Bypass, Springfield Road and Baltimore Pike. Springfield Road was snow-covered in spots, as were some other stretches, but it's not like they were impassable.

I took my wife's Rav-4 today, but I easily could have managed the drive in my Accord.

How good were the roads? I actually altered my route. Whenever we get snow, I try to steer clear of my usual route, where I use Providence Road to cut across from West Chester Pike to the Media Bypass. It's a hill, two-lane stretch that usually gets pretty dicey in bad weather. I usually just go all the way down West Chester Pike to Route 320, and then cut across to Springfield Road.

But this morning I was so impressed with the roads that I took Providence, and again I had no problems.

You'll get where you need to go this morning. Just give yourself a bit more time.

The big issue today is a nasty cold that has descended on the region.

My odometer was reading 12 degrees on the way in. The record low for today is 10 degrees.

Today's high is only expected to hit 26.

But from here it looks like smooth sailing. We'll rebound into the 30s on Saturday and all the way into the 40s Sunday.

And believe it or not, there is a streak of days featuring temperatures in the 50s next week.

Keep your fingers crossed. I think we just might have survived another winter.

Here's the latest from AccuWeather.

Comments