About that front page

One of the questions I get asked all the time is why the Daily Times never puts any good news on its front page.

Folks, today is your day.

Actually, I like putting an 'upper' on the front page on Friday. Maybe it's the whole TGIF thing. Let's face it, a lot of the news we deliver every day is pretty depressing. I mean, how many days can you hammer Colwyn? It's nice every once in awhile to end the week on a little lighter note and head into the weekend with a smile.

Today's front page story certainly should spark smiles all across Delaware County.

When reporter Rose Quinn first reached out to me early Thursday (she knows I get in the office long before dawn) she wanted to let me know about the story and urged me to consider it for Page One.

She wasn't wrong.

This is a great story about a good kid battling some serious health issues who finally got his wish. I hope no one is offended by the headline. If you are, you know where to file your complaint. I wrote it. It's a takeoff on the slang saying for something that is pretty cool.

You see, David Gibson's wish was not what a lot of good kids would be seeking. He did not want to go to Disney World. Or meet a famous athlete.

The Marple 12-year-old wanted to meet the bomb squad - and the robot that is sent in to defuse explosive situations.

David, consider your wish granted.

And thanks for the Friday upper!

Comments