Honoring excellence - for both students and teachers

There are two things I can count on every time I write about young people and teachers.

One, people always ask me why we always portray young people in a bad light. Well, that sort of goes with the territory. It's news when people do something they're not supposed to do. That includes young people. When they are doing what they are supposed to do, no one notices. Including the media.

The same often goes for teachers. We're often accused of ripping them, especially when it comes to contract talks with strapped local school boards.

That's why I love this weekend.

It's when we present two packages of stories that almost no one complains about.

The first appeared Sunday with our annual All-Delco Hi-Q team. For those who do not know, Hi-Q is the nation's oldest academic quiz competition.

A few years ago, I was approached by John Unangst of Franklin Mint Federal Credit Union and Harry Jamison of the Delaware County Intermediate Unit. They were intrigued by our All-Delco teams, which we select for every high school sports team in the county. They were interested in doing something similar for kids who take part in the academic contest. I could not say 'Yes' fast enough. I've always wanted to offer kids who excel in something other than athletics the same kind of acclaim that we bestow on athletes.

Sunday was their day.

Today we come right back with the teachers who snagged prestigious Excellence in Teaching Awards. You can read all about them here. I am the father of a high school English teacher. I know how tough the job can be. And I'm glad we can be a part of a program honoring their great work.

Comments